Friday 15 February 2008

Stupid omelette-grabbin' stairs

Well, the week has been generally uneventful. I did manage to make a delicious omelette, fall UP my stairs and get delicious omelette on every single step! Makes me miss having apartments with one floor :( And I miss it being warm enough to eat at my table in the kitchen! Someday...

I am supposed to be at elementary school today, but two of the grades have the flu so there's basically no school! So, I am at the Board of Education all day being ... bored of education?

I went to visit the Yoshida's and to see Leigh on Valentine's day. I hadn't seen either of them in a really long time so it was a relief to catch up and to speak to other human beings and all that. We had delicious spicy tofu soup, curry, and Yoshida Bread mmm. The road from Iwataki until the mountain pass to Yasaka was covered in beautiful snow last night. Had the Yoshida's known this, they'd have made me stay wiht Leigh for the night :D But it was fun winding up the snowy road at 15 mph and looking athe pretty trees. Didn't get home until pretty late though.

On the way home, I couldn't help but feel really alone. Not lonely, just alone. And certainly not because of Valentine's day (which is a celebration of all things pink and heart-shaped as far as I am concerned). I think it happens when I hang out with people who have social lives around their homes. Or people who are close with their neighbors or Japanese friends and families. I really don't have anything like that in Ine and I don't think that I will. I am happy to stay at home and keep to myself most days... that doesn't bother me at all. I don't feel like I am missing out either. It just makes me extremely aware of how much time I spend alone. I think it just sort of hit me last night on the drive home.

Anyway I have to go to a birthday party this weekend that I am not keen on going to so much. It's kind of funny how the more time I spend alone, the less I actually want to go out and be social with people. Once a week is really enough! I suppose it's the hermit in me.

1 comment:

Zara said...

"BORED OF EDUCATION"...you are perhaps the MOST AMAZING person I've ever met because I even laughed a little, despite being in the middle of the teacher's room.

Keep on being brilliant!