Thursday 31 January 2008

meetings, I hate japanese, illegal questions

There was a meeting that Aimi-sensei and I had been planning for all week today. We had to give a regular 50 minute English class for our first years (7th graders), who are our favourites and they freakin' love English.

I made a plan with her and we put it in English and in Japanese. We prepared all of the work sheets and stapled everything together neatly.

When it came to teach the class, we were both nervous. Aimi-sensei was visably nervous while I spoke more in English than I usually do with teh first years (although I doubt any of the Japaenese people there really could tell). Oh yeah, so all of the teachers from our school AND all of the teachers from Honjo JHS came to see us teach class.

AS USUAL, I was never specifically told why we had to do this. I just went with the flow.

The class went very well, the first years were rock stars because they answered all the questions correctly (even though they were visably nervous doing so). We made skits, they did beautifully, and class ended perfectly on time. It was a really good class, actually!

But then we had to go to a meeting upstairs for an hour and ten minutes. All of it in Japanese, which I guess is good practice, but it wasn't interesting (even if it had been in a language I understood perfectly). The definite worst part was when they asked me MY opinion of how the class had gone... I stood up and attempted to say this:

"I believe that the first years did really well today! They answered all of our questions, and they memorised their original skits very skillfully, I thought. I know they were quiet during the Bingo game, but on their comment sheets they all wrote "Bingo was fun!" "I understood everything" "I did well on the skit!", so I don't understand it, but I think it's good".

Who knows what ACTUALLY came out of my mouth. Probably something like, "Hey everyone, I am a big dumb gaijin and I like goats! I never wash my hands, I wear shoes to bed and I never brush my teeth! I hate children!!!! Blagh lbagh!!!!!"

I don't really remember. I do know that I have been made to stay way passed my general 4:15pm every day this week, which I resent only a little... I honestly have nothing better to do when I get home anyway!!!!!

Also Kirby has been spending afternoons curled up on my lap napping. It's passing the winter!

Also I recontracted for another year with Ine.

Also I found out that downloading movies in Japan is perfectly legal. But then why does it still feel so unethical? Oh, because it IS.

Rachel

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your descriptions of having to translate your thoughts into japanese and then imagining what you might really have said. I always love these kinds of details in your emails. Love, Mom