Wednesday 2 January 2008

New Years Under the Snow

New Years was an interesting series of events. Most of the revolving around the massive amounts of snow that came to my town in a hurry.

On New Years Eve, I dug my car out of the four or so feet of snow and drove slowly down to Fukuchiyama. As soon as I hit the 'out-of-Ine' border, there was NO SNOW (yet). Naruhodo.

Once in Fukuchiyama, I picked up Leigh and her friend, Gordon. We drove over to the Yoshida's house for osechi New Years dishes, beer, and Canadians. As to say, we met some. They were former JETs who had been stationed in Sonobe a few years back. They were very jet-lagged and nice.

Here is Kumi Yoshida and some Osechi (New Years assortments of food-stuffs)

Around 11:30 we braved the snowfall that had come to Yasaka and walked up to the local shrine. The shrine was absolutley beautiful under all the white powder and we rang some bells, watched some chanting, and drank some hot sake.
Afterwards, we drove home at 0 km/h in Leigh's frozen car and slept/shivered in her house until morning.

I then drove back to Ine to see even MORE snow. I and my neighbour dug out our parking spaces for a good 45 minutes with shovels and gusto. Once we had spaces, I told her she could just use mine (which was more excavated), as I would be gone for 11 days.

And so I began packing for England! It was not easy getting in or out of Ine for those few days because of the snow. It's good to know that my social life will be on hold whenever snow happens though. And by good, I mean lame.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am jealous of your snow. No snow in New York :( Save some in your fridge for me till June?