Saturday 6 October 2007

Blakeney vs. the Mukade

Blakeney vs. the Mukade

I had a long, semi-productive day at the Board of Education this Friday. I made some props for the following week at elementary school, did some studying, caught up on bill paying, and fawned over plane tickets to different places in the world (Thailand, China, Korea,...) I might end up in Thailand for Christmas or New Years to get away from the cooooold!


After work I raced down to Yasaka to pick up Leigh, Liz and Leigh's friend Jer, who is visiting her. We drove down in my small car to Sonobe, which is about 2 hours south of Yasaka. From Sonobe we parked and hopped a train to Kyoto!

I got off in Kameoka, which is about 14 km from Kyoto city (where the rest of the group went to find their youth hostel). I however was cheaper and opted to stay with friends! So my first night was spent at Megan's house. She is a 3rd year CIR in Kameoka who is from Raleigh, NC. She looks like a long lost Weaseley sister and is the coolest, nicest girl I know in the city. We spent the evening hanging out in her cool apartment, she told me stories from her 2 years here in Japan and I shared the Inaka gossip with her. We looked at pictures and gabbed late into the evening. We were joined at some point by John Blakeney, a 2nd year ALT in Kameoka from Ireland. He is awesome. The three of us had an awesome time drinking weird carb-free beer and laughing at me not making sense (due to exhaustion plus being a lightweight).

At some point Blakeney (which I will refer to him as there is more than one John) started yelling in mysterious Irish English (which isn't really English) and said he'd been bitten by a mukade!!! Megan, having recently had a mukade up her pant leg, flipped out in the most graceful of ways. "Where is it? How did it get in??? Kill it kill it kill it!!!" So as Blakeney put ice on his arm, I lifted up the pillow, expecting something the size of... the pillow, and instead found a baby mukade. Megan sprayed it with half a bottle of bug spray, which probably did more damage to us than it did the bug. The bug died instantly and we tossed it away. Fortunately it was no bigger than a caterpillar so Blakeney did not develop a wound/brain damage/death.


Eventually, after more mukade scouting was had, Blakeney left and the two of us ladies fell asleep.

No comments: