Monday 10 September 2007

Weekend not NOT awesome

The Ine JHS Sports Festival -伊根中学校の 体育祭

So the weekend was awesome. It started out with the amazing sports festival at Ine Jr. High School where I got to watch kids and adults run around and play ridiculous games. One of them involved ME and the PTA "fishing" for paper fish. They had these huge cut outs in the shape of red snapper, flounder, turtles, squid, octopus, etc etc. So you'd have to run over, grab a pole, read which fish to catch and get the hook in the hole! It was harder than it looked, but my team totally WON! Hooray! I took video and way too many pictures. Anyway there were a lot of boring sort of standing in line type things... marching... speeches. But there were some very exciting relays and goofy games and we even had a dance by the first graders and some middle schoolers! How lucky to see it again!) Japanese dance is really awesome to watch. I wish I had a proper video camera for it! But I think they took video at the school so I'll just steal a copy later. But it was a lot of fun, even though it involved me working on a Saturday (BOOOOO).
JHS and Elem. school girls doing the Dokoishou Soran Dance

After that I ran off to Miyazu to join Eric and celebrate his 31st bday party at the gaijin bar in Miyazu. It was a BLAST. Lots of fun drinks, cake, food, and the bar is about the size of a trolley, so it was just us and the bartenders, who are friends with the birthday boy! Eric was even behind bar helping mix drinks. It was completely wonderful. It was great seeing some of the JETs and Japanese folks I haven't seen in awhile, like Yumi and Desirae and Jamie and so on. The cake Yumi baked was delicious too! After the bar closed, we went off to another bar and did lots of karaoke which was all way too fun. So we started the evening around 7:30 and went home around 3:30... all in all, an excellent party. The next morning, a few of us who had slept over in Miyazu at Jarrad's house drove to Omiya to grab some Kappa-Zushi, which is that conveyor belt sushi I love so much. It was my first time having it here in Nippon, and it was soooo cool! You could make your own tea right at the table with a hot water spout, and of course the sushi was ready to go. They had so many different things, and you could order from an electronic menu and once you've done that, they send over your sushi on a little model bullet train! It dings at you when the food arrives and then you grab your plate, press a button and it goes back home to the kitchen. Plus the conveyor belt had pie (which was yummy), jell-Os, and juice boxes with Hello Kitty™ on them! Hooray juice! So after lunch I finally came home to Ine and hung out and went to bed SO EARLY (like 9:30pm, no joking).
The Simple Life with Liz and Rachel

Today was Monday, but it was my daikyuu, or day off because I had worked Saturday. Lucky for me, Liz (the JET from Amino) was also free! So after I cleaned the house (it was sooo messy) and biked to the store for some eggs, Liz drove all the way up here! Once she was here I drove her around and we explored the area. We found Ikari farm, which is this 100% pastoral farm area with rolling green hills and happy sheep running around (and coooows) and it's totally gorgeous. We walked around there and said hi to the sheep, goats, mini horse, bunnies, and cows. Then we hopped back in the car and drove even higher up the mountains to the wind machines. Or whatever they are called. They are these 70 foot high fans that collect wind energy. They are huge and scary and Liz finally agreed that they are pretty creepy. They are just these huge, unnatural silent machines living in the hills. Creepy. We took pics and explored and then commented on how AWESOME the cool weather was up in the mountains. Usually in Ine near the water it gets quite hot and humid, so it was a nice change of climate. Then we came back to my house to burn CDs and drove to a little Americanesque diner called "orange" near Iwataki. I had pizza with tuna fish, corn, pepperoni and mayo. It was strangely delicious, although the mayo was a bit gross They put mayo on EVERYTHING.

And now I'm home! I love having productive and amazing weekends and Liz is just the person to do things with. She inspires me to go and do things on my days off so I'm hoping to be invited to little jaunts that she plans in the future. She's also from Maryland, I forgot to mention. Hooray for people and things and places! I love my Tango peninsula and everyone needs to come visit, since I'll probably NEVER LEAVE.

No comments: