Sunday 2 September 2007

Messy Desk, Lots of Nature

A Very Messy Desk, Indeed
Well there's not much to write about this weekend. Thank goodness, it was quiet and gave me a chance to catch up on things, such as cleaning. I finally cleaned the desk upstairs... it only took me three and a half hours and minor paper cuts to get it finished up. All that's left now is sorting the trash... and then cleaning out the downstairs closet. I'm really nervous about finding bugs in there, so I might have to down a few beers first to give me the beer-energy I need to clean bug-closets. We'll see. Or maybe I could get into the Ine-JET spirit of LEAVING ALL MY GARBAGE FOR THE NEXT PERSON.
Voila!

Anyway it's CLEAN and that is what matters. After a long few days in my own home (which I'm happy to be back in) I'm going to Miyazu city to have dinner with the boys and girls and to look around at Mipple for things like CDs and perhaps a few cheap items of clothing or indoor shoes for the schools. Thankfully I have enough school supplies which I plundered from the desk cleaning. I certainly don't need any stickers, pens, pencils, erasers, glue, white out, folders, binders, loose leaf, hole punchers, staplers, staples, paper clips or push pins EVER AGAIN. I could stay the next decade and never run out. It's kind of awesome, actually. Anyway the longish drive seems worth it just to get some sushi and outside-air into my weekend before school starts.

School starts tomorrow. I'm not excited so much as confused and possibly nervous. I just want this first week to be OVER so I can get into the swing of it. I have to give a speech... I don't want to give a speech. At all.

Other than that, here are some nature sightings/stories for the week:

1. Kumo-chan. My door spider is getting pretty big. He's gone from a dull brown to being shades of vivid green! He's turning into quite the handsome little arachnid, but it may mean he's getting too big to live on my porch. Moving day will be soon, hope he doesn't mind! Perhaps it's time to give him a proper name as well. I am thinking Kaminari-san, which means thunderstorm. He's scared of them, so I figure naming him after one will make him stronger. Or ironic.

2. Mona is still doing well. I swear she is bigger, but I can't tell anymore.

3. One monkey sighting this week! A female monkey climbing up the roadside wall. Fuzzy butts = cute monkeys. She doesn't have one of those weird monkey butts, hers is quite charming. Fuzzy!

4. A praying mantis "hoofing it" I believe, across the road. They move FAST when they want to. I didn't know quite what it was as I passed by. I think it's the third one I've seen in my entire life, and they always seem to show up in strange places.

5. Heron... I suppose they're not strange or anything, but as I was biking to the store a few of them flew beside me and landed in the rice fields. They're really beautiful birds, other than that... not worth mentioning.

6. The jumping snake! I don't know if snakes usually do this, or if it had been hit by a car, but I saw a snake jumping in the road! It sort of ... sat up (as a cobra does out of a basket) and was thrusting its head forward and its body followed in something like a JUMP. Jumping snake! So for you guys who know about... animals? Do snakes normally jump? Or do you think it was injured in the road? Or by a bird? I don't much like to think that snakes can jump... it makes me feel like a surprise, snake-related death could be more imminent.

7. Mystery night creature : I was reading in bed last night about 10pm (yes I go to bed early, even on weekends) when I heard this sudden thumping against my balcony window. Mind you, my balcony is on the 2nd floor. And there is a fence around it. WHAT, then, was trying to get into my room and kill me? It didn't sound like a moth. Or a spider... in fact it sounded like something of decent size... like a rat or a large frog. But every once in awhile it would bang against the glass or scratch on the screen. I knew my door was locked, so I wasn't completely terrified. But I was so so so curious as to what it was, why it was trying to get in, and HOW it got there. I supposed it could have been a small bat that lost its way, or even a large cicada. Either way I didn't really want to know in the dark by myself. It would require opening a curtain slowly, and that always results in scary, gruesome death (in movies). I decided if it was something I ought to see, it would be there in the morning.
It wasn't. I will never know what it was. The JETs and I are calling it the Ine-dragon that scared Tamar away.

No comments: