Tuesday 11 March 2008

Dinner at the Boss’ house, Reminder that I don’t speak Japanese.

The other night I went to a dinner at Hamano-san’s house. Hamano-san is the Head of the Board of Education in Ine. So, his title is 教育長 (Kyoiku-cho). I went accompanied by Miyajima-sensei (the music/cooking teacher at Honjo JHS), Akiyama-sensei (the nurse/everyone’s second mother), and Tsuji-sensei (my partner in crime and JTE). We met the Hamanos at their lovely home in Tsutsukawa, which is one of the many villages that makes up Ine-town. Their house was old and beautiful, but decorated with the Japanese luxuries of life (large flat screen televisions, couches, cuckoo clocks, stuffed toys and other things Japanese people like more than most).

Dinner was ‘inoshishi nabe’, which was wild boar meat cooked nabe-style, in a large hot pot! We mixed it with miso dashi (the main sauce ingredient which the meat and vegetables are cooked in), mushrooms, onions, cabbage etc.


The evening, for me, was spent trying not to get drunk as Hamano-san kept refilling my beer, and then his own. I also tried my best to understand what everyone else was talking about. However, the TV was on and distracted me greatly throughout most of the meal. By the end of it (three hours later), Tsuji-sensei and I drove back to Honjo JHS to get my car. She asked me if I had been watching the TV. I hesitantly told her that I had, and was embarrassed if it was very obvious. She mentioned that she had been watching too, and wanted to know the outcome of the game show. I told her that the other guy had missed his alarm, so Shinji had won the 1,000,000 yen.

No comments: