Monday 6 July 2009

Farewell, Bike!

I sold my bike! The Yasaka JET, Megan (Leigh's successor) offered to pay me for my lovely, Dr. Pepper can-coloured bicycle! Hooray! So, she drove the long road up to Ine and I introduce her to her new fly ride.

After re-homing a few rogue spiders, we pushed the bike over to her kei-car SUV and tried to put it inside, failing spectacularly! We would need a wrench to take the front tire off the bike... but where could we find one?

A-ha! Surely the gas station would have a wrench. Don't cars have bolts or whathaveyou? So, I valiantly rode the bike one last time in the humidity of this fair seaside village all the way to the gas station.

When I arrived, Megan was standing off to the side while everyone at the gas station (all two people) stared at her unapologetically. We explained what needed to be done, and the trusty gas station attendant, Mr. Mitsuno, went to work and deftly removed the front tire of the trusty mamachari bike. And lo, the bike fit within the confines of her trunk. But what about me? How would I get back home?

Double lo, I also fit within the confines of her trunk!

And so we celebrated with the washing of our dirt-covered hands and the eating of local tempura-don.

Goodbye, bike! You were one of the great ones.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How sad: first the bike, then Kirby.
Not to mention Netanya, kate and Ian.
We love you. Mom